Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Why am I seeing a hairy dog and your father

Last Tues was Mardi Gras night at a local hot spot that serves cold beer and hot wings. Mardi Gras is a fun night, lots of drinks, beads and laughs. But several beers into the night, I had developed a friendly chat with the man next to me. Saying.. hey.. I"m psychic isn't normally the first thing on my mind or on my lips, especially when I'm out having fun with S, my best friend. Her and I can sit and relax and just let our hair down together. We both understand each other well and when we tell our guys "it's girls night out" they understand.

I turned to the man next to me and out of the blue I said, "I'm seeing a big hairy dog and your father". His response was fast and just as funny. "If you're seeing a hairy dog I think its time to stop drinking". I was definately amused but still perplexed. I realized it was the wrong approach. "Ok smart ass, I'm not seeing him here... I see him when I look at you".. This didn't impress him but he managed to laugh in spite of it. "Ok .. I'm psychic, occassionally things come to me and I keep getting this Hairy Dog and the words "your father" come to my head. So.. tell me..what am I seeing.

"About 12 years ago I lived in Texas, and I owned a sheepdog. I couldn't keep him, it was just too much work and too hot for him there, and finally I decided to bring him here to Atlanta and I gave him to my father. You know, the average lifespan for a sheep dog is 7 years. He lived 14. He died last year".

"Well, he stopped by to say hello and thank you. He had a great life" The man didn't believe me. So I described his favorite toy, and his father's back yard. Specifically a spot in his father's back yard along the back left corner.. it was his final resting place. I told him, look I"m not sure if you DO believe me, but at least give me the benefit of the doubt and tell your father that he visits him and that he thanks him for a beautiful life.

This.. at least, he relinquished. Thank you. And Goliath, where ever you are tonight, I think he knows you visit him AND his father, even if he WAS too stubborn to admit it. Life is good.