Saturday, March 05, 2005

The Bell Tolls

My Ya Ya friends know that about a week ago I received a message that I would hear the bell toll when it happens. I didn't write it in my blog because the message sounded more spiritual than chronical. Tonight I was out on my deck wondering about that message. Did it mean I will be in church? I finished my smoke and came back inside. I decided I wanted to check if it 2/13 was a Sunday. Would I be in church.

I also decided to cancel my subscription to the USGS earthquake notifications. It seemed silly to look at that log everyday. If the ground shakes, hey ..there's something I'll pay attention to. If its shaking in someone else's neighborhood it won't help me knowing that ahead of time. So when I went to the website to cancel my subscription I began reading the FAQ section. I hit upon a paragraph about New Madrid and decided to read about it.

Here's where I sat up and paid more attention. The glass shade on the banker's lamp next to me dropped suddenly, rotated. All the time I've owned it, it's never done that.. here's what I was reading at the time: http://earthquake.usgs.gov/faq/regional.html I paste below how far I got in the paragraph...

In November of 1755, an earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 6.0 and a maximum intensity of VIII occurred 200 miles off the coast of Cape Ann, Massachusetts. Boston was heavily damaged. The strongest earthquakes recorded in the continental US were not in the West; they were centered in eastern Missouri near the border with Kentucky and Tennessee. In the winter of 1811-1812, a series of three earthquakes of magnitudes 8.4 to 8.7 and maximum intensities of XI occurred near New Madrid, Missouri.

Then the light shade fell..and I turned back to read the next sentence

These shocks were so strong that observers reported that the land distorted into visible rolling waves. They changed the course of the Mississippi River; they made church bells ring in Boston and Washington, D.C.

Interesting.. Now some of that sounds familiar to me doesn't it? My dream below ("A Snow Covered Caldera Blows") about feeling the land roll like waves below my feet. Hmmmm. The point is... am I seeing a past event, or hearing warnings of a future event. I can't help feeling that its not only a past event, but of one that is about to repeat itself.